Search This Blog

Thursday 10 May 2012

STRANGE UNDERPANTS!!!

Hello All,
I'm sure you're wondering about the odd title. Please let me explain (in a very long winded way).
At a recent course for Athletics, as part of a warm up for shot put, a group of about 25 of us were playing a short game of tag. As you know, this involves lots of running, bending, twisting, reaching and finally, grabbing.As I reached for one players 'tag', he changed direction and I grabbed at whatever I could get a grip on - unfortunately for him, this happened to be the waistband of his jocks. This was also an unfortunate error on my part, as I ended up snapping a bone in my finger and causing a little bit of damage to the tendon. Thankfully, I hadn't ruptured the tendon - an injury referred to as a 'Jersey finger'.
Why, I hear you ask, is this relevant to a blog on fascial stretch therapy? Well, as I have been unable to treat any clients in the last 2 weeks, I have started devising ways to treat my own stuck joints and fascia. Having had a 'baby cast' change in the last few days, I realise that my hand has become very stiff and I can't straighten some of my fingers. I also noticed that my left arm is not extending fully as I have been guarding my injured hand and keeping my elbow bent. So, this morning, I went through a full body stretching sequence starting from the ground and focusing on trying to feel a stretch from the soles of my feet to the tips of my fingers. I worked at staying as relaxed as possible and I carried out all my slow stretches in time to my breath - I no longer 'count down' my stretches. I am amazed at what the results are. I have full range of motion back into my creaky elbow and my shoulder, which had started to ache has really loosened out and relaxed. My physio is due to start next week - at which point, I hope I will be told that there isn't much work to be done. Remember to allow a period of recovery before stretching after injury - this period will be determined by your caregiver. But once you do start to stretch, you will be amazed at how it will aid recovery. Work with the whole limb as opposed to focusing on individual muscle groups and stay relaxed. And most of all - to stay injury free, Don't go putting your hands into strange men's underpants!

No comments:

Post a Comment