Search This Blog

Saturday 12 May 2012

KILDARE MARATHON - QUICK FIXES

Oh I love this time of year, not just because the sun is shining (occasionally), but because marathon season is gathering speed.....you must excuse the pun....there will be many more. So as training regimes escalate from speed work and hill work to getting out on those long race pace runs, so too does my waiting list. I have, by far, more long distance runners on my books than I do martial artists, boxers and gym bunnies all put together - but let's face it, that's not surprising.
So, as the Kildare Marathon takes off tomorrow (there's another one), I have had lots of requests for last minute stretches. Most requests feature ..."a quick 5 minute ITB stretch please".....or a modest...."2 mins on the hamstrings..."
Now, if all I did was stretch a hamstring, I would be out of a job. What I must keep reminding people is that they must stretch through the whole limb. You know it's a good stretch if you feel right up in the gluts, at the backs of your knees, all the way down to the sole of your foot. This means that you are not only stretching the belly of the muscle, but also the fascia throughout the length of the limb.
In terms of ITB tightness or syndrome - which can ofter cause major knee pain and indeed hip pain in runners, it's not so much the IT band we are trying to target as much as all the tissue surrounding it. So once again, lateral stretches that target everything from the side of your waist all the way down to the outside of your foot will offer relief to those suffering from ITB tightness. An excellent stretch is to put your heel up on a low step (bottom step of stairs), allow the toe to fall outwards externally rotating the femur and then slowly bend at the waist as you would for a hamstring stretch. To deepen that stretch, rotate the torso towards the leg you are stretching. It's deep!
So folks, remember, prevention is actually better than cure. Frequent maintenance can minimise these common injuries. As a runner, I'm guilty of it myself....I mind my runners, I keep my water and juice bottles clean, I make sure my running gear is clean.....and the machine always come last! YOU MUST KEEP THE ENGINE WELL OILED OR ELSE IT WON'T RUN!
With that said, all bookings made before May 20th are now 10% off. Get yourself  good service! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment